I am blessed with all my teammates. It is still an 'am' rather than 'was'. :-)
While we were on the plane to Sichuan, John sat beside me, while I was really unsure without a medical qualification as a doctor nor a nurse, what could I possibly do at the site, he said doctor was just a pass to him for attending mission. While compared to his teammates while he was in Burma, he felt his teammates had done better with the teachings. What a humble sharing. I kept silent while thinking about what he said.
The very first day, I had a very special duty, an official translator in the operation theater, assisting Tim in his work. After work, I asked Tim why did he choose Anesthetist as his profession. His answer was it's really useful, and he could partner with many other doctors for field work. When he said that, I could imagine seeing him working in the war zone, trying to relief pain of the soldiers, and taking care of their breathing.
Then, KeekeeLok, a nurse. He stayed back for another week in Sichuan to assist another team in relief effort. We chat about church and missions on the last night in Deyang, he told me the most important thing was to "serve the community". I remained silence after that. Wasn't him right? While we screen the right people for missions and field work, "serving people" and "serving the community", aren't these the qualities that we look at? But sometimes we do care about the attitudes of a person rather than seeing the real job that people had performed. That was something that I learned through him.
"I don't know what I can do! But if I need to move the stones, I will do it!"
"I don't know, I think I can wash their wounds, and I can just help in anything that needs a pair of hands to do it!"
"I just need to go! I need to show them love and care, when every else had left."
"I don't care, it's worth to die this way if I will die in this trip! We need to bring them food and water, at least they can sustain!"
"I'm so afraid if she died the next day, I need to tell her about hope!"
"I could not do anything medically, but I will talk to the patient, the people, if that comforts them."
Popo and Momo went back to Sichuan shortly after we came back from the trip. It was an amazing opportunity to serve with them, my teammates!
We had 27 in our team. Some I had chat with them more, some less. Yet, all had amazing stories behind, and all had served their profession with great respect of human lives. I had worked with many medical personnel in the past, but never I had such experience with working a team such as this, all Die-Hard members, who chose to put others before their own interest.
What an humble experience to serve with this team. Shalom!
No comments:
Post a Comment