Monday, March 26, 2007

Questions for non-Hikikomori

Questions: (based on the literature readings, and first 3 interviews)

1. Have you heard about Hikikomori?
2. Do you know anyone who is/was a Hikikomori? (if no, go to Q.4)
3. What is your relationship with him/her?
4. How do you feel about Hikikomori?
5. How do you think they come about?

Analyse the questions and answers, suggesting keywords: school bullying, school failure, job failure, death.

6. Do you see any different in their circumstances at this time, compare to the circumstances at your time? If it is different, how does it differ? If it is not different, how had you cope with it?

7. How do you look at this phenomenon in relation to the society?

2 comments:

Shane said...

1) I have heard about Japanese suicide rates and the internet being a tool for them to come together, but I have never heard the term Hikikomori or about shut-ins.
2) No
4) My heart breaks for them. I wish I could help.
5) My guess, and an uneducated one at that, is a combination of spiritual oppression, social depression, and mounting pressure from school and the workplace.
6) I'm not sure I understand this question.
7) This problem is in direct coralation with society's ills in Japan. When I was in Japan I found varying degrees of oppression and different manifestations in how it impacted people and caused them to act and interact with society.

Roseline said...

Dear Shane,

Thank you for taking your time for the questions.

Question 6 basically means: Base on your comments on question no. 5, can you relate to them? Do you think the intensity of the frustration, oppression, depression that exist in the circle of these people has any different with us. If you are in a older generation, perhaps you would like to make a comparison of the level or intensity of the social force. And how did you cope with it?